Ten Signs You May Need A New Roof or Roof Repair
A damaged or leaky roof can seriously ruin your entire home. Water seeping in through roof leaks can damage your ceiling, walls, and structural supports along with your home’s foundation. Mold mildew, moss, algae and many other organisms, as well as fungus that grow within damp environments, not only can damage your roof but also cause breathing problems leading to an unhealthy environment throughout your home. Whenever possible, it is best to react swiftly to all warning signs, which are screaming for a roof repair. Here are some of the most common roof problems that people suffer from in your area.
- Among all the roof problems, the most common and obvious roof repair sign is water leakage that mostly appears in the attic or in the ceilings of rooms below the attic space.
- Water stains, or sagging ceilings: Usually, rainwater gets accumulated under shingles, making them curled, blistered and cracked. So, next time you see evidence of water stains, or sagging ceilings in your home make sure to take them very seriously.
- Loose, broken or missing shingles: This is the second most common roof problem that occurs due to loose, broken or missing shingles. Shingles usually get displaced because of heavy winds and constant rainstorms. If your home has a Cedar Shake Roof, you should check for the similar signs of broken, missing and cracked cedars.
- Wet dark spots: Here is a common roof sign where wet dark spots occur in the wood. However, if the spots appear to be dry and hard, do not panic as it may be an old problem that has already been fixed.
- Rusty metal or loose shingles: Rusty metal or loose shingles in places where a vertical side of the house meets the roof also represents an active sign of a roof problem.
- Dark scraps: Dark patches on asphalt shingles clearly indicate the requirement of a professional roofer to assess for possible damage.
- Large amounts of granules: Granule chunks flowing into the rain gutters point out that the granular coating on a roof is quickly failing, which may lead to a leaky roof. The granules break down from the asphalt shingles leaving your roof prone to further expensive damages.
- Damaged Flashing: These signs occur when your metal flashing material gets cracked or bent. It normally happens because of improper installation or drying and cracking on an older roof.
- Algae Staining and moss: Algae stain is the discolored blemish occurring on your roof. However, algae alone does not ruin a roof but it will often allow moss to grow. When moss is removed from the roof, it washes out the asphalt granules with it and shortens the life of the roof.
- Dripping sound: Have you heard the sound of dripping water in your home? If yes then a professional roofing contractor should be called upon to check on your roof and check the attic to discover the source of the problem.
If you come across any such warning signs, immediately contact us at 914-248-5640 or Click here to Request a Free Estimate. Summary: New York Remodeling will conduct the correct evaluation and can offer the best options to solve your roofing system problems. In cases of severe damage from a history of reoccurring problems or rotting and deterioration, you should consider the option of replacing the roof completely.